Tuesday, September 14, 2010

However....

It was noon today, I had just scarfed down a Special K bar in the car to try to catch a customer in an office. It was my second time returning, the secretary Elle told me to come back in an hour. When I returned, Elle, was sitting behind the office eagerly waiting to ask me a question. A few weeks ago, I had mentioned to her that I was adopting a child and in waiting.
Today she asked me if I heard any news....No news....No phone call.

The green leaves on the trees are transforming to bright shades of orange and red...It's pretty obvious in the fall that our lives are transitioning. The fragility of how life can be altered in landscape is apparent...although we may not always recognize this feeling in our daily lives. I love this time of year, it pushes me to believe in that transformation in my life, to strive for it. I would sometimes reach for changing things in my life that I could not control.

This year I began to hold onto that which has given me strength, adoption. I began to talk about it to others, because I am so passionate about this process on so many levels. Adoption was the transformation that I needed to feel EMPOWERED in my life.
I had a discussion with this secretary a few weeks ago, she had given me some blankets for the animal shelter that I visit. I began to tell Elle about our experience with adoption and how it has changed my perspective.

Elle is a fifty year old, married mother of two. Her two children are in college now. She loved raising her kids and feels a longing to nurture. A month ago she was discussing her consideration of adopting a dog. Elle also used to run a daycare for years before she became a secretary at this office. Today, she began a new consideration....she informed me that she was thinking about becoming a Foster Mom. She was unsure if her husband would be interested in the notion. She said that Jim loves children, and he would be great at helping her Foster. While I was in the office with her we took the time to research online what it takes to foster a child and the benefits of the program. One needs to be married, with a stable income, and would consider fostering to adopt someday. Elle described to me the joy that she would get from helping a child in need before they find a permanent home. She mentioned that she did not want to adopt permanently she would only consider fostering at her age. We talked about the possibility of someone in her life who would consider to adopt a child that she fosters....that she could be the gateway to a child's new beginning. As I left the office today, Elle was going to sit down with her husband to discuss the possibility of the foster program.

Today, no phone...no word on when....HOWEVER....change is happening.

1 comment:

  1. Fostering is such a lovely calling. I have worked with a number of foster children in a school setting and there are so many kids who need a loving, stable home, and help to figure things out in their lives. Good luck to Elle and her considerations!

    ReplyDelete