Monday, September 6, 2010

Away We Go....

So, it has been almost a week since I last posted. We have been on the road up and down the east coast visiting my brother and sister-in-law in Rhode Island. This was our second trip up to visit them both and so my brother James and his wife Em, asked us if we would like to head to Newport for the day....a cliff walk was suggested. Cliff walk?? I mean, its Rhode Island...really cliffs, I wondered. So we ventured out to Newport on Saturday, the day after Hurricane Earl slightly grazed the east coast. We took the short drive to the beach and parked our car near the walk...we began what was a three mile tour. I had no idea what I would encounter along this walk, it was the unknown.

The walk begin with high cement walls on the side of the bay, followed by beautifully designed historic mansions on the other. As we continued to the unknown we came around the corner to the ocean, there were rocks leading out to the ocean, looking down we came across surfers walking out on these giants rocks to go catch some really big waves, stirred by the path of the hurricane. Andrew was inspired by their point of entry to swim out to waves, he photographed dozens of pictures. The wind was turbulent at times almost blowing us off our footing....the glory of mother nature with the waves crashing along the rocks was directly in front of us. We pressed on to find a Asian Inspired Pagoda House along the cliff, not expecting to come across such a beautiful building in Newport. The four of us were challenged along the walk to climb rocks and find the best path for our grip as we climbed up and around a much larger cliff than I ever imagined I would find in this town. The flowers and tall grass at times along our path were so beautiful. It was amazing that this three mile journey was created by mother nature.

We finished our walk, feeling as though we accomplished a great feet...and we did. As we walked into town to catch a trolley back to our cars, Andrew turned to me and said "My love for you is stronger now." I asked him what made him feel that way. It was mother nature, staring at us right in the face that windy day in Newport. The giant rocks, the beautiful trail of flowers, the amazing force of the wind, the fantastic waves caused by the remnants of Earl. Nature was staring at us in the face, and Andrew and I both realized we had each other. In this turbulent world of change that is beyond our control, we have us...we have our love...and that is just as powerful when we let it be.

1 comment: