Saturday, August 7, 2010

A day of "first's"

Today was a day of my life evolving around me. Andrew and I have had a dog now for almost seven years, she is the best dog I could ever ask for during these years. We have taken her to the same vet since she was a puppy. This appointment we discussed with our vet how to introduce her to our new addition in our family someday. He gave us really good information especially on how she would most likely behave and adapt to our new baby. So this vet appointment was different than years past. When we were driving home and got back into our development I saw these two woman who have 3 shitzu's walking, we know them walk from walking our dogs. This time, they were pushing a new baby in their stroller with the three dogs. They adopted a baby. All in one morning, life continued to evolve today.

This afternoon I decided to begin registering at a baby store. For so many of my friends baby showers, I walked in that store...sometimes crying...sometimes numb....today was a new feeling. I want to have a registry together before we finish the program just in case it happens soon after we are done. More importantly, its what all moms-to-be do, so I was not going to miss out on this experience, in my own way. When I first got to the store I ran into an old friend of the family. I had heard she had been trying for a few years like me, she had become pregnant with twins. She had been waiting to do this for years, I am sure, just as much as I have been waiting. Today, our lives interceded with each other, two different perspectives with the same purpose. With my perspective brought a whole different experience than those around me. As I went around the store, several woman working came up and asked if I needed help. One older woman looked down at my belly and said in an Irish whisper, "Are your pregnant?!?!, Look at You!?!?!?" The women in the aisle around us couldn't help but turn and look. I said, no, I am expecting through adoption, (in my head I was thinking...hmmm, this is obvious, no baby in the belly lady....somebody needs new glasses, hehe). Seconds later a scurry of voices and eyes on my belly still, I began to hear whisper down the lane..."She's adopting, oh wow....yes, adopting....so neat...she's adopting?? Yes, she's adopting..." And so began my time at the baby store, experiencing registering for our child in a different way than most and yet I was doing the same things as all those expecting mothers around me. The funny thing is that I only know of one way to become a mom, so these moments are mine, this feeling is mine, and that is all I need to feel, and that's pretty cool. So today was a day of "first's". First time at the vet after seven years, talking about raising our dog around our new baby. First time seeing the woman partners in our neighborhood pulling their new baby. The icing on the cake, was that after years of returning to the baby store that I had been to for those around me, I got to pick out everything for our baby someday. I think my life has been full of "first's" since the day we decided to move forward, when we knew. Today I know life continues to evolve.....

No comments:

Post a Comment