Thursday, August 26, 2010

I am my friend....

As I drove in my car today, I listened to a song that seemed to make the cars and trees move in harmony; it was as if the world around me was dancing. I came across the Simon and Garfunkel song…. The Boxer. Instead of driving in solemnity thinking about what list I had to do today, or mindless thoughts that I sometimes wander upon, I began to listen to this song, so deeply that I felt an overpowering feeling of strength. Where was that strength that I felt coming from? I asked myself to follow that feeling that I had from this song…..
For years I found myself searching for the answer of who I am from those around me, from my job, from every external identity that I could claim. I was searching for the answers of my life. The answers to the struggles that have taken place along my way. I reached for the infamous question we all ask…"Why?" I thought if I knew the meaning to all of the “why” questions, I would find strength to handle my life. In the song, The Boxer, the music takes your mind on a journey, searching with every note something new. The song describes a story of a poor man’s struggle for life. The words are spoken…“I do declare there were times when I was so lonesome I took some comfort there.” I could feel those words digging deep into my soul. Those quiet moments which felt like I was on a desert island with no one around but myself to make sense of life. No one ever answered those questions, and yet now I don’t need to know. That feeling of strength that I had throughout this song was within me, it was my own voice. The years of asking "why" to the world around me to find the answers are fading. The only strength I needed all along was to believe in myself, and I do. That inner voice that kept questioning life for so many years is now filled with only one answer that is necessary to live. The answer is me. This is how I came to adopting a new way of life, which is why I can to see beyond the adoption and into who I am, and that is the answer.

It’s a belief in who you are, and no one or nothing else can give you that but yourself.

“Never forget that once upon a time, in an unguarded moment, you recognized yourself as a friend.”

2 comments:

  1. We are definately related. Always been a favorite of mine. Also Dust in the Wind.. depressing, maybe, but it always reminds me not to let the little things matter & to be happy for what I have, & to try to live for today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you, I just saw your comment now...funny thing about this blogspot....I remember listening to that song too, when we were in high school, we would meditate to it in ministry class...maybe they were onto something in that class all along. Every time I hear Dust in The Wind, I picture myself mediating in a certain place in school...pretty cool, thanks for sharing love :)

    ReplyDelete