Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Love Love Love.....

When we vacationed last week, our home was on the bay. Everyday while I went fishing, or relaxed on the deck, I would see a Mamma duck and her ducklings, she had three. If you ever get the chance to watch a Mother Duck with her ducklings you will see how protective she is of them. There were many dangers for the little duckling on the bay; the strong tides; the osprey birds; and the big fish in the water. The mother duckling did everything she could to make sure her three ducklings were safe at all times. This is what most people refer to as a "mother's instinct". The same love was shown to me today by a woman in an office that I call on for my job. I have known her now for five years, today I told her that my husband and I were in the process of adoption. She was very interested in learning about the process. After I began to tell her our story she revealed to me that around thirty years ago she almost placed her child with an adoption agency. Back in the late 70s adoption was still closed, it was almost taboo to discuss in public, like many other rules in society. Her parents wanted her to stay at a convent until she had the child and went through the adoption process. She agreed. She delivered her child and still remembers that she did not even look at her baby because her parents wanted her to let go. However, she could not let go. She went against her parents wishes and raised her daughter and went on to have three more children. Every mother, has her own story. Her story was to not let go. A birth-mother who does let go, wants the same thing the Mother duck wants for her ducklings, to protect and love her child. She is selfless, like my friend Kristin once told me. I never forgot that word throughout this process of adoption. In my way, I let go to gain something bigger. I let go of my infertility to gain motherhood. By making that choice, I too have already begun to think like the Mama duck, it's my story of becoming a mother through adoption. Every Mother has her own story, and this is mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment