Wednesday, August 11, 2010

An unexpected gift....

I have been blessed in my life to be surrounded by a core group of family and friends who have been so supportive, and happy for Andrew and I throughout this journey. For the purpose of today's blog I want to discuss this past week. I have had two silent angels who have been there for me on so many different levels and especially over this past week. One of them, a friend. She gave me the gift of her time this past week helping me with the daunting tasks of baby registering questions. She has been a steady, calm supporter of my pursuit to become a parent...she has been there when I needed her most to lend an ear and spiritual guidance. Then there is my other silent angel of the week, well, it's actually her and her mother that are a part of the second gift. I mentioned to my cousin this morning that I registered. Well, she was actually parked outside the baby store that I registered at, unbeknownst to me. Now, the way I plan on having a "Welcome" shower for our baby, of course not traditional, is after our child arrives. However, my cousin and aunt heard that I needed this car seat before the shower for our baby and decided to surprise Andrew and I with this gift today. When I saw the big box and bright wrapping paper, my heart started to flutter. I began to tear open the wrapping with her two boys and saw the name on the outside of the cardboard box...."Peg Perego". I looked up at both of them as I held back the tears only for her oldest son to ask me to open the whole box! I peeled back the four leafs holding the box closed and saw the trim of the car seat that I had picked out last weekend. My imagination of our child in this car seat, started to pour into my head. This gift was more than a car seat, it was an imprint in our lives. Another reality of our beginnings. I leaned my head on my cousins shoulder and hugged my aunt and cried like a baby!! It was so unexpected, that's the fun part of this adventure. I came home and told Andrew that I had a heavy box in my trunk that my boss gave me today. When I opened the trunk, he reached for the big cardboard box, and I watched his jaw drop, it was priceless. He looked at me and said, how did you get this today?? I told him the story and he was amazed. We opened the box tonight and sat on the floor for some time and played with the car seat. We have been preparing our home for our baby for quite some time, today something new is sitting in our dining room....a piece of our child's life. To all of my friends and family reading this blog, the gift that each of you have given us by being a part of this journey is beyond words. It IS an Imprint in our lives and our child's. Every unexpected gift, whether it's a card, a phone call, a comment under a blog entry, helping with baby questions, or a very special car seat, it means so much more to us than the gesture itself. Each gesture is a part of our "way".

2 comments:

  1. I have to say that you captured my expression perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so real....I think I may see that expression many more times to come soon enough!

    ReplyDelete