Friday, July 16, 2010

Me and My Blog...

Well, I figured I start with letting you into my world a little more today. This blog thing is still taking some getting use to for me. So...about me. Let's cut to the chase. We're infertile, there ya go for an icebreaker. Long pause. Well, the specifics really don't matter its just a fact. There's is no reason and if you think it's all gonna play out for me like Charlotte on Sex and The City the movie, then blah blah blah. Besides the obvious fact, I have been given a perspective on life that is pretty cool and inspiring. Its a key to door number three instead of one and two which everyone else I know has taken. My friends would all agree that I am pretty unique in many ways. From my wardrobe, all the way to my karaoke song choice that they can't stand sometimes, I like being original. So why wouldn't I want my way of life to have just as much originality and flare as my wardrobe.

For a number of years I started to consider many ways of life for me because of my path. What would my life be with my husband without kids? Where would we go in our lives? Would we move? Would we adopt? Would we start our own Journey Cover Band and tour the world...who knows? What matters is that in every step along the way, I consider it with him. Andrew, is the type of guy whose smile is literally contagious. He has these dimples that are ridiculous. He's the type of man who would do anything for me because he loves me. I just looked over at him in our kitchen right now, and on cue...the smile. Whatever way of life I have been on, he got on board with me ten years ago when I met him. I remember sitting in his old beat up honda civic looking out at the river during a beautiful rainbow colored sunset the first spring that we were together and explaining to him I may never be able to have a child someday. I remember the look on his face caring more for me than my words, only six months into dating him. This makes him such a crucial piece of the puzzle of my path. He is my way.

Why I am writing this blog? This is a hard one for me. Apart from the fact that I was coerced to do it, wink. I guess I felt like I had something unique to share. Oh god, that is so not a good enough reason to start a blog! I think maybe a part of it was to challenge me to think about my life and my path. So...I guess I am going to ask myself that question everyday because like many things in life, I still don't have the answer to that one.

In regards to my day today, I changed it up. I was lucky enough throughout my entire childhood to grow up with both sets of grandparents around. I have so many amazing memories of playing in their row homes with at least ten other cousins. It wasn't until I reached my mid twenties that I lost my Mom's parents. I spent three years visiting my grandmother in the nursing home before she passed. Amazingly, she outlived my grandfather who died from cancer rather suddenly but that's for a different story someday. One thing I remember from visiting my grandmother was how lonely it could be in the nursing home. Thanks to my very large family she had company often, but many others did not. Until today, I did not know how easy it is to volunteer at a nursing home. Most homes want volunteers at any time of the day during visiting hours. The place I went to told me that all I needed was a healthy physical from my doc and a TB test. After that, I can come anytime during visiting hours, any day of the week. This is awesome. So I get to start soon after orientation. I am so excited to be able to make a difference in someone's day in this home. Many elderly people are still mentally sharp and just have no family that visit them in the homes. So can you imagine what that conversation will mean to them. One day, one small change. Oh and I also found out they take donations such as puzzles, magazines, nail polish, makeup and sugar-free candy.

So I will ask myself again before I finish for the day...Why this blog? Still stuck on this one...I watched The Blindside tonight, found a connection with this movie beyond something I can explain right now, I think it has something to do with Why I am writing this blog...to be continued.....

1 comment: